Thursday, April 5, 2012

After Murillo

This is a recent copy of a painting by Bartolome Esteban Murillo 1660, original: http://www.eccehomo-alzira.es/pintura/page8.html. I have painted this image many times, using different mediums, to see if I can create certain effects. I was not trying to copy it exactly, but more of an attempt to duplicate effects, using ground glass. Once I was finished with the image, and it dried sufficietly, I glazed over it with Stil de grain, and this created different effect from the original, yet one I have observed in other Renaissance works. Please excuse the bad photo, as it is showing as a shadow on the right, when that is not accurate. This is completed using Winsor and Newton oil paints, and is 11x14 inches. The support is gessoed burlap, laid down on wood.


No comments:

Post a Comment